Every time I go to the farmers’ market, I end up with bowls of fresh fruit in my kitchen that inspire me to create nourishing smoothie bowls.
Here in Costa Rica, tropical fruits are always in season – and pineapple is one of my favorites.
The sweet and juicy slices always make me happy.
When you combine it with watermelon, you get a tropical and fruity drink that lifts you up.
Today I am skipping the bowl, and pouring the smoothie directly in my watermelon half (no waste!)
All you have to do is scoop the watermelon, blend it with your fruits, and pour it back into the bowl.
- Pineapple is rich in vitamin C, manganese, and copper. Only one cup will cover your daily vitamin C needs.
- Pineapple has a compound called bromelain, which helps to improve digestion and has anti-inflammatory effects.
- Watermelon is rich in lycopene, a phytonutrient that reduces inflammation, fights free radicals, and improves heart health.
- Orange is also rich in vitamin C. One medium orange will cover 93% of your daily vitamin C needs.
- Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that prevents damage inside and outside of your cells and is associated with a decreased cancer risk.